booksandsandwiches

Because Books!

I love reading and watching tv shows.

The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle, #2)
Maggie Stiefvater

The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak I really loved this book. I wasn't expecting it to be the way it ended up being and that's a good thing!As someone who loves history, particularly Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, this book was perfect for me. As everyone knows, it's narrated by Death and I find this fitting considering the death total at the end of the war. Whilst you would expect Death to be cold and indifferent towards humans as he wears a dark cloak and carries a scythe, it is not the case here. Death is presented in a different colour; he is sympathetic and has a heart!I loved the way this book was written. The narrative was entertaining and the descriptions evoked powerful images, which is really what you need for a story like this. All the characters were well developed and they were real. What I got at the end of this book is that humans can have so much good in them just as they can be evil. I was crying over the acts of kindness some characters performed at a time when being human would have cost you your life. I have studied this topic before, so I know it happened. But I connected with it more here and I learned a lot about who I am as a person too. I recommend this book to everyone. It is a long read but it's worth it. I cried, I laughed and I was downright conflicted. It's wonderful.